Backwards incompatible changes:
- For stability, reliability, and security the privileged sandbox has been updated to match the new changes to unsafeWindow for the Add-on SDK. In order to write values to unsafeWindow you will need to use the new methods cloneInto(), exportFunction(), and/or createObjectIn().
- The @grant none mode is now the default, and grants will no longer be implied when not explicitly provided. See the post Sandbox API Changes in Greasemonkey 2.0 for more detail.
Otherwise, these changes will break some scripts. These scripts will need to be updated to work correctly again. We don't take breaking changes lightly. It's been just under two years since version 1.0 when we last introduced major changes, and it these particular changes are both important and valuable in the long run.
- Greasemonkey will only use explicit @grant metadata, it will no longer sniff for implicitly used APIs. (This change takes effect at install time. Currently installed scripts will continue to function as normal until they are updated/edited/reinstalled.) (#1908)
- GM_addStyle() now returns the created element. (#1892)
- Update checks will attempt to read a .meta.js file for scripts installed from any site on the internet. (#1885)
- Remove all references to the now defunct userscripts.org website. (#1884)
- Turn on Firefox Sync support by default. (#1857)
- GM_xmlhttpRequest() can set the resposeType parameter on the request. (#1834)
- A rare NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI error when running certain scripts has been resolved. (#1930)
- Fixed a bug when parsing @match rules which could destroy configuration state. (#1912)
- A bug fix for the @match metadata, to correctly match bare domain names. (#1899)
- The database where persistent values are stored correctly vacuums its unused space. (#1879)
- A relative @require URL will now work correctly. (#1874)
- The options window will flex to fit on small (or large) screens. (#1871)
- Greasemonkey's integration with Firefox Sync should no longer cause unnecessary prompts when a master password is set. (#1852, #1870)